Thursday, 2 October 2008

6th Crossing at Dubai Creek


























Dubai continues to grow at an astounding pace and this is a new bridge which will become the biggest, tallest arch bridge in the world. New York Architect, FXFOWLE’s proposal for the architectural design of a 1-mile long and 673-feet tall bridge in Dubai won a design competition. It is striking to say the least to see how design is evolving, the clean flowing lines meant to represent the sea is amazing in its design and truly fits with the Dubai style. However I was wondering whether it is quite as remarkable as the architecture of old. The first bridge constructed of iron aptly named Ironbridge (shown) is a marvel for its design and construction for the time it was built (1779). It is beautiful, each large piece is different due to the welding at the time and set in its own scenery it is as striking as current architecture. This is something I have been thinking about recently and it is quite an issue that I feel would be worthy of exploring. 


No comments: